Geometric Data Analytics (GDA) seeks a full-time employee to act as a data analyst and software engineer for a variety of modeling, analysis, and visualization tasks supporting government funded research and development. The position is expected to start on or about July 1, 2021. Due to funding sources, the candidate must be a United States citizen.
The candidate must have a demonstrated interest in the application of mathematical and computational methods for science, data science, and modeling. A required strength is to be able to break down and solve problems coming from diverse fields and requiring diverse tools. Another required strength is the ability to use modern software engineering practices to collaborate effectively with other developers.
At our core, GDA provides novel solutions to challenging problems. Current projects include applications in image segmentation, logistics planning, ocean modeling, computational biology, multi-modal sensor analytics, theory and practice for AI, epidemiology, and airplane/drone tracking.
GDA is currently staffed by 15 Ph.D. and Master’s-level scientists and led by John Harer (CEO) and Paul Bendich (Chief Scientist), who also have faculty positions at Duke University. Our offices are located in downtown Durham, NC.
Necessary skills for day 1:
- Ability to understand and implement mathematical algorithms in Python.
- Ability to build and interface with open source software in diverse environments.
- Familiarity with software engineering techniques and best practices, especially in design, implementation, and testing.
- Ability to use git workflow to integrate with multiple authors.
- Ability to document work and communicate findings to diverse audiences.
- Familiarity with mathematical concepts such as linear algebra, graph theory, optimization.
- GDA values diverse scientific and technical curiosity---our work requires broad horizons, intellectual adaptability, and intense curiosity.
- GDA mixes agile software design practices with basic research practices to bring research solutions to applied problems.
Must have a Master’s degree or higher in a quantitative field.
Equal Opportunity Clause
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
Email to Megan Hohenstein, Business Manager, a CV, and a statement of how this job fits into your envisioned career trajectory: firstname.lastname@example.org.