*Due to the nature of our funding, you must have United States citizenship to apply.*
We are seeking a full-time data scientist for a variety of modeling, analysis, visualization, and software development tasks supporting government-funded research and development.
The candidate must have a demonstrated interest in the application of mathematical and computational methods for science, data science, and modeling. A required strength is to be able to break down and solve problems coming from diverse fields and requiring diverse tools. Another required strength is the ability to use modern software engineering practices to collaborate effectively with other developers.
At our core, GDA provides novel solutions to challenging problems. Current projects include applications in computer vision, logistics planning, atmospheric modeling, computational biology, multi-modal sensor analytics, theory and practice for AI, epidemiology, materials science, and airplane/drone tracking.
GDA is currently staffed by 15 Ph.D. and Master’s-level scientists and led by John Harer (CEO) and Paul Bendich (Chief Scientist), who also have faculty positions at Duke University. GDA offices are located in downtown Durham, NC; however, remote applicants working in the US are encouraged to apply.
Necessary skills for day 1:
- Understand and implement mathematical algorithms in Python.
- Build and interface with open source software in diverse environments.
- Familiarity with software engineering techniques and best practices, especially in design, implementation, and testing.
- Use git workflow to integrate with multiple authors.
- Document work and communicate findings to diverse audiences.
- Familiarity with mathematical concepts such as linear algebra, graph theory, optimization.
- GDA values diverse scientific and technical curiosity – our work requires broad horizons, intellectual adaptability, and intense curiosity.
- GDA mixes agile software design practices with basic research practices to bring research solutions to applied problems.
Must have a Master’s degree or higher in a quantitative field.
Equal Opportunity clause
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
Email to Megan, Director of Operations, a CV or resume and a statement of how this job fits into your envisioned career trajectory: email@example.com.